Lemons have been valued more than for making lemonade. We know that the ancient Egyptians appreciated this essential oil for its supposed ability to act as an antidote to meat and fish poisoning. And, like the file, it was a staple in the 17th century on Royal Navy ships to help prevent scurvy.
The scent of lemon scent also helps to increase concentration and neutralizes unpleasant odors. Some hospitals use lemon essential oil to help calm frightened or depressed patients.
Essential oil applications:
- To refresh the air and neutralize bad odors , use 2-3 drops in a diffuser.
- To support anemia and blood pressure , regularly use 2-3 drops in a diffuser. It can also be used as a steam inhalation.
- To support joints, use 2-3 drops in 1 ounce of carrier oil and massage into the affected area. You can also add 8-10 drops in the bath water.
- To support circulatory health , mix 2-3 drops in 1 ounce of carrier oil and massage into the body. You can also use 8-10 drops in water, or a few drops in a steam inhalation.
- To support colds, coughs, flu, and loss of voice , use 2-3 drops in one steam inhalation. You can also add lemon essential oil to a carrier oil and rub on the chest and neck. To cool the fever, use 2-3 drops in a cold compress. After illness, use 2-3 drops in a diffuser (or through steam inhalation) as a tonic for the immune system. Continue use for 2-3 days.
- To support corns and warts , use lemon oil on a cotton swab and apply directly to the affected area. Be careful not to apply to surroundings.
- To support fatigue , use 2-3 drops in a diffuser. You can add 8-10 drops of the essential oil to the bath water to benefit from its incredible properties.
- To support digestive health , use 2-3 drops in a steam inhaler or diffuser.
- To support hardened nails, mix 2-3 drops in 1 ounce of almond oil and massage cuticles and nails regularly.
- To support throat troubles or mouth sores , use in mouthwash. Gargle and rinse with water. Use regularly until condition has subsided.
- For oily hair , mix 2-3 drops with your shampoo.
- As an insect repellent , use 2-3 drops in the diffuser or add a few drops to a cotton ball and apply it to the infested areas.
Due to its properties, lemon essential oil can cause skin irritation in sensitive people. Avoid direct sunlight after use, as it may have a mild photo toxic effect.
*These statements have not been verified by the FDA and is only referenced here as a fun fact and/or for historical commentary, is not to be used as medical advice in any way. Consult your doctor before ingesting any herbal product.
None of these items or statements are approved by FDA. Consult your physician before taking any supplement. Do not take herbs or tinctures during pregnancy without consulting your healthcare provider. This product is not intended to diagnose or treat any disease. All information here is for entertainment and educational purposes only.