Grapefruit essential oil is a powerful extract derived from the grapefruit plant, which is scientifically known under the name Citrus Rameosa
In addition to being one of the most versatile essential oils, the aroma of grapefruit oil is clean, fresh, and a bit bitter, just like the fruit itself. It has the characteristic taste and smell of citrus fruits, which is why many people like to use it in natural household cleaning products and in homemade beauty lotions, soaps or cosmetics.
The history and origin of grapefruit is a mystery. However, some accounts show that the fruit was first raised in Jamaica.
Grapefruit essential oil is widely used in aromatherapy. It is extracted from the rind of the grapefruit , not from its pulp or flesh. Like other citrus essential oils , the oil is obtained by compression and possesses similar therapeutic properties.
Uses of grapefruit essential oil
The oil is popularly known as a detoxification agent, as it helps activate your lymphatic system. It is often used to eliminate toxins, eliminate excess fluids, and help burn fat. Other specific uses of this citrus essential oil can be:
- In aromatherapy, when inhaled, the oil can support someone suffering from hangovers, headaches, mental fatigue, and possibly depression.
- As an ingredient in skin and hair care products. The oil is often added to creams and lotions to support acne and oily skin . It can also help the appearance of cellulite.
- The oil can calm the appetite, the effects can be intensified when mixed with patchouli oil.
- Air freshener and deodorant : its fragrance is similar to citrus fruits such as oranges and lemons. It can eliminate bad odors in kitchens and bathrooms.
- As Massage Oil: When used as a massage oil, it can support the body in relieving muscle and joint pain , menstrual cramps, and headaches.
The most abundant component in grapefruit essential oil is limonene , which ranges from 88 to 95 percent. Limonene is found in grapefruit peels, from which the oil is extracted. Incredible anti-cancer properties have been found that can also be found in other citrus fruits such as oranges and lemons.
Other main components of grapefruit essential oil are linalool, thujene, myrcene, terpinene, pinene, citronellol, caprinaldehyde, decyl acetate and neryl acetate,
Grapefruit essential oil benefits
One of the most recognized benefits of grapefruit essential oil and other citrus oils is its positive effect on the lymphatic system , which plays a role in the body’s detoxification mechanism. Using these oils you can help boost the activity of the lymphatic glands, this can avoid problems such as fluid retention, poor circulation, allergies and cellulite.
Grapefruit essential oil is also known for its antimicrobial effects. A recent study shows that this oil is effective against strains of bacteria such as Staphylococcus aureus, Enterococcus faecalis, Staphylococcus epidermidis, Escherichia coli, Salmonella thyphimurium, Serratia marcescens and Proteus vulgaris .
With its antioxidant properties and vitamin C, grapefruit essential oil can support the immune system . This essential oil can help prevent oxidative damage such as premature aging, vision problems such as macular degeneration, poor hearing, nervous system problems, and many others.
How to apply grapefruit essential oil?
The oil can be inhaled through a diffuser, or it can be applied topically (also as a massage oil) . It can also be added to drinking water or smoothies. It is a safe additive for your intake, however always before ingesting an essential oil we recommend consulting with a health professional.
Here are some ways to experience the benefits of this essential citrus fruit .
- Use two or three drops as a massage oil to relieve menstrual cramps . This can also work to relieve headaches, muscle aches, and arthritis .
- To ease the symptoms of depression , use two to three drops in a diffuser. They can also be applied two or three drops on a cloth and inhale.
- Mix two drops with a carrier essential oil and use it as a massage oil to treat cellulite .
- To stimulate the lymph nodes, apply a few drops on your skin.
- To improve kidney and liver health , add a few drops to water or other smoothies.
Is it a safe oil?
Grapefruit essential oil is highly concentrated and must be diluted before use , for example in carrier oils such as almond oil, jojoba oil, coconut oil and olive oil.
Before being ingested we recommend the advice or supervision of a medical professional. It can also cause allergic reactions when applied topically. Test a drop in a small area to see if an allergic reaction appears.
Citrus essential oils should be used with great caution as they can increase photosensitivity or sensitivity to ultraviolet rays. Avoid using this oil before sun exposure , especially if you have dry or sensitive skin.
Grapefruit essential oil is considered safe, but it can interact with certain medications, including antidepressants and blood pressure medications. Before using grapefruit oil as a natural medicinal remedy, check with your doctor if you take medication.
In addition, you must take into account the following:
- Keep out of the reach of children
- Pregnant and lactating women use with care
- Do not apply to eyes or sensitive areas such as mucous membranes
Pregnant women should not use essential oils without first consulting with a doctor. Children of all ages and especially the very young should avoid using essential oils due to their sensitive skin. It is also necessary to monitor the use of essential oils in animals. Grapefruit oil is toxic to cats. Do not use around animals as they
*These statements have not been verified by the FDA and is only referenced here as a fun fact and/or for historical commentary, is not to be used as medical advice in any way. Consult your doctor before using any herbal product.
None of these items or statements are approved by FDA. Consult your physician before taking any supplement. Do not take herbs or tinctures during pregnancy without consulting your healthcare provider. This product is not intended to diagnose or treat any disease. All information here is for entertainment and educational purposes only.